Sometimes I hate to admit how much of a morning person I am. Mostly because there’s a small part of me that envies the person who can sleep soundly until 10am, and maybe because a part of me thinks (knows) that my early to rise mentality stems from anxiety. “I can’t sleep in! There’s things to do, thoughts on my mind! Sleeping in wastes the day!” Am I the only one who deals with that feeling?!
All of that aside, I’ve come to love being a morning person; the stillness of it, the slowness. It allows me to feel productive before the business of the day ensues. I’d like to think that it sets me up for success in some ways. So, here are six things that I usually do before 8:00:
1. 5 minutes of tidying | Especially as someone who works from home, our apartment is my all day work space, so it is important to me that there isn’t a pile of dishes in the sink or an unmade bed— it just wouldn’t be a productive space for me! Although we’re pretty good about staying on top of big messes, in the morning there’s inevitably clean dishes waiting to be put away, some laundry overflowing, or tumbleweed of dog hair brushing by… it’s really doable, and effective for me to spend a few minutes first thing in the morning just addressing these ‘chores’ and allowing myself the atmosphere I need to be productive.
2. Put things back in their place | Similarly to the above, things like books, remotes, shoes, mail, all get dropped fluidly in our house. Having a place for everything, and making sure those things always make it there, keep things at least looking tidy.
3. Take a few minutes for myself | Whether this is 15 minutes of reading in the morning or spending an extra 5 in bed after my alarm, ‘treating’ myself is always something I try to do. Waking up the extra minutes early is definitely worth it.
4. Walk the dog | Obviously.. for his sake. But other than that, just getting fresh air first thing in the morning is a game changer. To be honest, I don’t know how motivated I’d be to do this without a dog, especially in New England winters, but maybe there’s a track nearby or a coffee shop in walking distance that allows for some time outside before your day starts. Just doing it forces me out of that ‘I’m comfy in bed’ feeling and wakes me right up!
5. Review ‘admin’ items, like my upcoming schedules and bank accounts | This may seem super over the top to do on a daily basis but… I do. By keeping a daily tab on my planner, bank accounts, bills, meetings etc., there’s never a time when I sit down after weeks of neglect to surprises, a big project or something I missed. It makes me feel like my ‘affairs are in order’ — how adult— and that gives me peace of mind for the rest of the day.
6. Write down one point a gratitude from the day before | You already know that I find that practicing gratitude has helped me in my minimalism journey but in addition, I just love to journal. I’ve found that remembering a high point of the day before, no matter how big or small, not only keeps me practicing gratitude on a daily basis, but it also serves as a diary of sorts. Looking back even just months and seeing what I considered to be the best part of my day always makes me smile.
Thank you to True & Co for allowing me to try out your much-talked about V Neck Bra. I’ve been on the lookout for an intimates brand that isn’t a big box retailer for a very long time, and this female-run, San Fran based company has really hit the mark for me! Take their fit quiz to see what style would work best for you!